13 Questions With J Curly Speegle
1. Where are we talking from today?
A. I’m in Nashville, TN
2. Where did you get your artist name from?
A. I was the lead guitarist for Rock & Roll Hall of fame Leon Russell from 2005 to 2007. When I joined the band I had long curly hair. Leon mentioned to me after a couple of gigs that he thought that “I ought to have a power name”. Hence that day, I became J. “Curly” Speegle… He was big on that sort of thing. His real name was Claude Russell Bridges, so it kinda made sense.
3. Music wise, what are you working on right now?
A. I’m actually on a hiatus at the moment. I started touring at 19 or 20 and stayed there for a lot of years, so I’m just enjoying a little downtime…
4. Who or what were the most significant influences on your musical life and career?
A. Well, Leon Russell obviously. But there are a lot more that are pretty significant as well. There is a gentleman by the name of Owen Brown that helped to shape my musical journey. He is the owner of Birdland recording studio in Town Creek, Alabama. Fantastic producer/musician/ human being… Then there are a couple of guitarists that I grew up with that were my “frienemies”. Chris Simmons and Rob Wright were local guys that I played with for years. Great musicians the both of them…
5. Who are your favorite musicians?
A. Robin Trower, The Allman Brothers, Grant Green, B.B. King, The Black Crowes, The Alabama Shakes
6. What have been the greatest challenges/frustrations of your career so far?
A. Multi-faceted answer on this one… I would have to say that the music business has become fickle and mundane on many levels. It seems like the consumers and producers collective attention span has gotten shorter & shorter. That doesn’t translate well to the live music scene in many instances either. Not to say that it’s all like that, but you seem to have to look harder for quality in many cases these days…
7. As a musician, what is your definition of success?
A. Mastery of my instrument and my craft
8. What is your idea of perfect happiness?
A. That’s a good question. I’m not 100% certain what that answer is, but I”m certain that it involves a sandy beach, warm breeze, and Drinks with little umbrellas in them
9. What is your present state of mind?
10. What is your most treasured possession?
A. My 1993 Gibson Les Paul Honeyburst Birdseye top!
11. What do you enjoy doing most?
A. These days? Relaxing as much as possible
12. Where would you like to be in 10 years time?
A. I’m not sure, but I’m certain it involves a Sandy beach, warm breeze, and Drinks with little umbrellas in them
13. Where you @ online?